Sunday, April 28, 2013

Chapter: What is Life?

I know I've already talked about this, but I seem to be stressed out. I don't know what about college right now is making me feel crazy overwhelmed. I've been thinking a lot lately about what happens after you graduate, how you're tossed into to real world with no real grasp on it and expected to prevail. We're pretty much trapped in debt once we graduate. Student loans have us by the groins and wer'e subject to monthly payments for the next 10-20+ years. -____- That's a little unsettling. Especially when a job isn't even secure. At least one you enjoy. Because there's being employed and then there's being happily employed, where going to work isn't that much of a hassle. It's something to look forward to. Being a person with a huge breadth of interests makes it hard to figure out what I want to work in when I graduate. You know, to have money stably coming in. I love art and design,  but I also love science and medicine. I love research and writing, and I love physics and archaeology/anthropology. Let's not forget event planning and theology. I feel like I don't really get to enjoy what I'm studying in school because I realized the reality of it all. I don't know what'll happen in 2014. (OK true we don't know what'll happen tomorrow, but that's beyond the point.) The uncertainty is frustrating. My brain is split into a number of different directions and I'm a junior.
 THAT'S ANOTHER POINT.
I feel sooo rushed. Going into college right after graduating high school, expecting to know what you want to study is so unrealistic. Really? An 18 year old is going to know what they want to do for the rest of their life at 18 years old. Really? People will say, "Oh, you have time. Do your requirements, you'll figure it out, don't worry." Lies. You are being judged the entire time you spend as an undeclared major. What's up with that? I went from pre-med to studio art in one sitting. I felt incredibly rushed. I don't regret my choice, but I do regret not understanding that I can take a number of different classes that interest me whilst being a studio art major. I was under the illusion that requirements are boring and just something you have to do. Sigh, I was so unaware of it all.

I could say more, but I won't. I'll just ramble on about my frustrations with the education systems and our social construct creating a hierarchy amongst subjects that just screw everything up. Ugh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment