Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Chapter: I Thee Wed You, Mrs. Eiffel


What if I told you I was in love with, hmm I don't know, umm let's say...a roller coaster?
You'd think I were joking, right? Well you'd be right because I highly doubt I'd ever fall for an inanimate object. But this isn't about me. This is about people who fall in love (yes love, the love you have for a significant other) with objects like a shoe, a fence, and even a roller coaster.
The best part isn't that they
love the stuff, but they actually have relationships with them, both emotionally and intimately.
I'm not quite sure how the intimacy works, but my research showed me that it's an odd fetish called objectum-sexual. It's even a sexual orientation now, OS. There are 40 people in the world who have declared themselves OS, all of them women. That term was coined by Eija-Riita Berliner-Mauer, a 54 year old woman who has been "married" with, I hope you can be able to guess from her name, the Berlin Wall for 29 years. Wow, that's commitment.

You may have heard about the woman who married the Eiffel Tower. She even changed her name legally to Erika de la Tour Eiffel. She had been in love with other objects before, was infatuated with a bow that helped her become a world-class archer, she's fond of the Berlin Wall and has a physical relationship with a piece of fence she keeps in her room.
This psychiatrist named Jerry Brooker, from New York, says that the OS women are motivated by a need of control.
"Someone who falls in love with objects can control that relationship on their own terms," he said. "Their objects will not let them down. That is extremely attractive for a person who is otherwise often desperately lonely."
I don't know about you, but I find this kind of interesting. But I won't lie, it is kind of weird. No disrespect to the OS population of the world.

0 comments:

Post a Comment