Thursday, August 20, 2009

Chapter: Tuning Into Def Jam

The legendary KRS-ONE and Doug E. Fresh.



That's moving. Like Freedom Writers-status (in case you didn't notice those were tears in the end.)

So I watched How She Move tonight, the movie about stepping. I was bored and was just relaxing, soaking up the time I actually have to chill. In all honesty, I thought it was going to be a joke, because that's what most dance movies these days are turning out to be. But to my surprise, I kind of liked it. I mean it wasn't anything great, like "OMG, I have to watch this again...and again...and again and again." But it was pretty decent. The stepping was on point. They had some pretty good sets, but what intrigued me the most was the underlying message it had. It wasn't anything innovative and new, just the typical "I gotta do my best to get out of the hood"-type message, but I liked it. The girl was actually really smart and spoke articulately and clearly. At first, she was kind of big-headed in a way because she went to a private school and disconnected herself form her roots. But in the end, she came to her senses and noticed she doesn't have to leave everything behind to move forward. Meaning her people, and her love to step.
Hm, I thought it was cute, but thats just me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment